Instead of dropping your bag, shoes, jacket, and keys on the floor in front of your door, use these tips for creating a neat and clutter-free entryway.
- Add hooks. Invest in some sturdy, attractive hooks and install them just to one side of your door. Larger ones can accommodate jackets and coats, while smaller ones are perfect for hanging a scarf or purse.
- Add seating. Many people like to add seating where guests can sit to take off their shoes. Consider a compact bench with storage underneath to maximize your space.
- Place a basket near the door. To avoid clutter around the doorway, add a small basket or decorative tray where you can toss your keys, mail, and other small items.
- Consider the lighting. Do you often come home to a dark apartment at night? If so, you might also want to add a standing lamp to light the way when you enter the door.
- Finish with a doormat. A doormat is essential for wiping muddy feet and keeping guests from tracking dirt through your home. Choose one in a bright color or with a witty greeting.
Maintain an Efficient, Orderly Entryway [Better Homes & Gardens]
Makeshift Mudroom: Tips to Keep Your Entryway Clear [Storage Pros]
11 Super-Organized Entryways to Clear the Way for Guests [Porch]